August 12, 2013

Baked "Breaded" Yellow Squash


Last week my mom gifted me two HUGE yellow squashes. (Is “Squashes” a word? I just looked it up and apparently it is a word! It sounds so weird though!) So yeah, I got these ginormous yellow squashes and had no idea how I wanted to cook them. However, I wanted to experiment with them since I rarely get squash that is that big! So I decided I would kill two birds with one stone. I had purchased wheat germ the weekend before and I decided I wanted to “bread” the squash with the wheat germ. If you are not familiar with wheat germ let me bring you up to speed.

Wheat germ is the part of the wheat kernel that is removed when wheat is ground into flour. It is considered a superfood because it is the “embryo” of the wheat grain and nourishes the wheat as it grows. So why isn't wheat germ a staple in every household? Unfortunately, our society discards the wheat germ when the wheat is converted to flour. It really is unfortunate because wheat germ is packed with nutrients and one gram of wheat germ contains four grams of fiber and EIGHT GRAMS OF PROTEIN!!!! I mean, really, why doesn't every household use wheat germ over bread crumbs?!?!? It is amazing that it has so much protein, but what is even more amazing is that it is high in iron, potassium, magnesium, zinc vitamins B1 and B3, and vitamin E.  

Wheat germ is amazing and I used it to “bread” my squash.  Here is the recipe if you are feeling adventurous:

Ingredients:
  • 2 Large Yellow Squashes --that word again. I just doesn't sound right!
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 Egg white
  • 2 C. Wheat Germ (or enough to bread the squash)
  • 1/4 C. Parmesan Cheese
  • 2 Tbls. Parsley Flakes
  • 2 Tbls. Garlic Salt
  • Pepper, to taste

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees and grease a cookie sheet and set the cookie sheet aside.

Wash squash thoroughly and pat dry. Slice squash in 1/4-1/2 inch slices as so:



In a bowl combine and beat egg whites and whole eggs and set aside. In a Ziploc bag combine the wheat germ, Parmesan cheese, parsley flakes, garlic salt and pepper. Seal and shake Ziploc until blended well. On a flat surface lay out some wax paper and pour some of the wheat germ onto the wax paper.

Take the sliced squash and dip into the egg and 'bread' each side with the wheat germ mixture. Place the breaded squash onto the cookie sheet and repeat until all slices have been breaded or until your cookie sheet looks like this:


Bake the squash for 10 minutes, flip them and then bake them another 10 minutes.

I served my squash similarly to eggplant parmesana and topped them with marinara sauce and some Parmesan cheese.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment