January 22, 2013

Simple Meatless Spinach Frittata


Have you ever heard of the saying, "Fail to plan. Plan to fail?" Well it's pretty true when you are trying to lose weight. I have found that I am more successful at eating clean when I plan menus on the weekend for the entire week. I also know that during the week I have no time and having as many meals as possible made in advance is always a good thing. It's so easy when you are in a rush to pop something in the microwave or toaster and within a few minutes you have a nutritious breakfast. One of my go to meals for breakfast has always been my Simple Meatless Spinach Frittata. Mainly it is my go to because I have the recipe memorized and it can be made the night before when the oven is still hot from baking dinner. Also, it is easily modified if I am trying to get lean.

The truth is, I'm not sure where I got this recipe from but I've been making it for years. I even think that I've made variations on the original recipe because I remember I used to make this with turkey bacon and turkey sausage. Without further delay, here is a picture and the recipe:



Ingredients:
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 Tbls. olive oil
  • 1 Pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
Directions:

In a saute pan, heat olive oil and saute bell peppers and onions until tender. Add spinach, salt, pepper and garlic powder and saute for another 5 minutes.

Spray cooking spray into an 8-inch glass dish and place sauted mix at the bottom.

In a bowl, beat all 6 eggs and pour over vegetables in glass dish.

Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Makes 6 servings.
_____

Now isn't that a nice and easy way to start your weekday off?



No comments:

Post a Comment