January 18, 2013

SBD Meatloaf

I've been on a million diets in my life. It took me many diets to evolve into who I am today. It took me many diets to realize that the best food to eat is the most natural. I've eaten so many diet bars, protein bars, diet shakes, and special diet snacks in my life. So many things that were processed foods by companies that preyed on the January Joiners resolving to get thin. I wonder how much money they made off of me. Of course, now I feel like an idiot because what should have been common sense was the last thing in the world that I wanted to do. Eat natural foods??? What? Exercise?? What?? DUH!

Not everything was a loss, however. Along the way I learned many recipes. I learned how to make ordinary food into extraordinary meals. One of those amazing recipes was the South Beach Diet Meatloaf. This meatloaf is not just your ordinary meatloaf. It will not weight you down like the normal brick meatloaves. Nope! This meatloaf is light, has vegetables in it and is made with brown rice.

I made this tonight.



Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbls. olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 lb. ground turkey
  • 1 C. of chunky salsa
  • 1 egg, beaten
  •  3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 C. cooked brown rice
Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350F degrees

Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell peppers and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender.

In a large bowl, combine the turkey, salsa, egg, salt, pepper and garlic. Stir in the vegetables and rice. Place the mixture into an oblong loaf pan.

Bake for 45 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the loaf reaches 160F degrees.


Hope you enjoy the Meatloaf! I usually serve it with mixed vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment