October 18, 2012

Middle of October


So we are a few days past the middle of the month and I can tell you that I am not going to make my very ambitious goal of a 4 lbs. loss. I should know better too. When you are so close to your ideal body weight your body slows down the weight loss process. Also, weight is just a number. I know this because I have been weight training this month and I already see my waist shrinking up. It’s crazy how my stomach reacts to just a little bit of exercise.

A year after having my son, I thought I would never get my stomach back. I mean, it’s been sticking out for so long, I forgot what it’s like to have a flush or even concave stomach. Not anymore!!! My stomach is flat again. Not concave yet, but I’m getting closer and closer. I feel good about what I have accomplished and my faith in my body has been renewed. I know that I will get the stomach I once had if I just keep at it.

On a different note, my eating has been really good! I’ve been counting calories almost every day and I haven’t indulged too much. What has been getting to me lately though is that I don’t have enough green in my diet. I want to begin to incorporate more vegetables into my diet mainly focusing on greens like Swiss chard, kale and spinach. I also want to buy a Nutribullet soon and make vegetable juice cocktails to supplement my diet.  A Nutribullet is like a juicer but it keeps the pulp in the juice.

Talking about juicing, I watched a documentary called Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead a few weeks ago. Basically the movie was surrounded around the idea that the body can heal itself from within if you give it the correct nutrients from a micronutrient, plant-based diet. In order to get the correct amount of nutrients the main narrator/subject of the documentary began an all juice fast that lasted 60 days. In that span of time he got off all of his medications that he was taking for a rare skin disorder and he lost 80 lbs.

As I was watching this I got the chills because I too believe that our body’s natural tendency is to stay healthy. However, our American society is gluttonous and we have the mentality that more is better.  That is not true and this is why we are living our lives taking pills to sustain a good quality of life. Keep in mind that some medicines are necessary. I don’t doubt that, but type 2 diabetes is reversible! Heart disease is preventable to a certain extent. It’s just that cookies taste good and fast food is convenient. The thought of me being dependent on medication scares me. It’s already bad enough that I need an inhaler for my asthma. Guess what, even my asthma is controllable! When I work out regularly, my lung capacity gets better and my lungs get used to being challenged. This causes my asthma attacks to occur less and less.

If you haven’t seen “Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead,” I recommend that you watch it. It will make you feel like you need to go out and get a juicer as soon as possible! I mean, look at me; it’s been almost a month since I’ve seen the documentary and I’m still thinking about it.

So yeah, I’m not going to meet my October weight loss goal of 4 lbs. However, I predict that with the weight lifting added into my routine, I will drop the pounds in late November and all of December. Let’s see what happens!




No comments:

Post a Comment