December 11, 2013

Scars Are Souvenirs You Never Lose

Historically, December has never been a great month for me. Quite honestly, December has always brought bad news along with it. In the past, I would find myself always bracing for bad news towards the end of the year. However, three years ago my outlook completely changed.

Three years ago my dad almost died in December.

BUT

Three years ago my dad also LIVED in December!

Three years ago I wrote this on Christmas Eve...

"Friday, December 24, 2010 (CMH Day #32)

Today dad, I came to see you early in the morning. When I got there, I got the best Christmas present I could have asked for. Up until today your thought patterns and your speech have been really unintelligible. I have to be honest; I’ve been scared that you suffered some sort of stroke or something because even though you’ve been getting better physically, you still weren’t mentally all there. TODAY HOWEVER, I got my dad back. Kenny and I were having a conversation with OUR DAD! It seems as though putting your heart into a better rhythm really did the trick! I was so overcome with emotion; I had to walk out of the room to cry in the hallway. I thought I would never be able to have a coherent conversation with you again. It feels like such a blessing to me. I love you dad. You are the only one on this planet that I can have conversations with and you really understand who I am…I thought I had lost my one person."

How can I ever look at December as a bad month again? I got the biggest blessing ever...

More time with my one person.



No comments:

Post a Comment